Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Special

First of all, I would like to wish all my faithful readers a Merry Christmas. This log doesn't have anything to do with school, but it's a bit of fun so I hope you enjoy it.

If you've been the the cinema at Sambil Valencia, you for sure will have noticed the small banner ad that says "Accumulando 196 puntos te ganas una entrada totalmente gratis!". I would like to ask the people who created this ad, how can something be partially free? It's a no brainer that it's totally free... unless you're planning a strings attached ticket. What are the conditions with this partially-free gift? Do you have to go with one of the reject workers from the cinema? Well, not even that, cuz they're giving you only one "totally free" ticket (but I guess it's worth it, because after all it's wholly free). I wish people would think of things before they write this kind of things.

On the same note, have you noticed how in the USA they have these promotions where if you buy $40 worth of soaps you get a free gift? I would like to remind these people that the definition of "gift" is "a present or something which is given", and I would like to point out that the definition of "present" is "something which you are given, without asking for it, on a special occasion, especially to show friendship, or to say thank you" and ultimately I would like to point out that a gift is something you get for free. A better definition for gift is "
something acquired without compensation." So there you go. When was the last time your uncle gave you a watch for your birthday and then said "happy birthday, here's your gift. I hope you enjoy it. And, btw, that will be $62." Never. That's because it is implied that the gift is free. Therefore, when you say you will be getting a "free gift" the pinheads who write this crap are being redundant.